Brighton Radiology owns and manages Bayside Standing MRI, the first weight-bearing magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) service in Victoria.
This pioneering weight-bearing magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) service provides significant advantages over standard MRI equipment. Unlike conventional MRI scans, where patients are typically required to lie down, our specialised equipment allows for imaging in various positions, including the standing position.
This innovative approach unlocks a world of possibilities in the assessment of medical issues and injuries, often revealing details that may remain hidden in traditional lying-down MRI scans.
To find out more about the standing MRI, see the detailed information below or go to our Bayside Standing MRI website.
Understanding the Standing MRI
Much like a standard MRI machine, the Standing MRI utilises a powerful magnetic field and radio waves to create highly detailed 2D or 3D computer images of the human body. What sets it apart is its ability to capture images with patients in weight-bearing positions. It's essential to note that MRI scans do not rely on ionizing radiation, commonly used in general X-rays and CT scans, making them safe for patients.
Our Standing MRI scanner excels in assessing a wide range of issues, including injuries and pain affecting the lower back, neck, foot, ankle, knee, hip, shoulder, elbow, hand, and wrist.
Enhanced Assessment of Injuries and Ailments
While standard MRI scans have their merits, they are typically limited to patients lying down. The Standing MRI's remarkable flexibility allows patients to be scanned in positions where they experience pain, bearing their weight. This provides numerous advantages:
- Precision in Pain Assessment: Placing patients in the specific position where they experience discomfort can lead to more accurate diagnoses.
- Origin and Severity Identification: Weight-bearing imaging enhances our ability to identify the source and severity of injuries or issues.
- Biomechanical Insights: It allows us to gain a better understanding of the biomechanical behaviour of injuries or issues.
- Posture Evaluation: Posture often plays a significant role in various health problems and the Standing MRI can shed light on its impact.
- Post-Surgical Tissue Assessment: For patients who have undergone surgery, this technology aids in evaluating post-surgical tissues.
- Revealing Hidden Issues: In numerous cases, the Standing MRI can identify injuries or issues that standard lying-down MRI scans may overlook.
Preparing for Your Standing MRI Visit
Undergoing an MRI scan is generally a comfortable experience without undue pain or side effects. Notably, our Standing MRI is not fully enclosed, making it more accommodating for individuals who may experience claustrophobia.
You'll only need to remove metallic objects such as mobile phones, credit cards and jewellery before the scan, as they can interfere with the MRI's magnets and image quality.
Most scans take 45-60 minutes to complete, during which you may hear various noises from the electromagnetic scanner. For most patients, earplugs or headphones are not necessary.
Experience the future of diagnostic imaging with Bayside Standing MRI, where advanced technology meets patient-friendly design. Your path to accurate diagnoses and improved health starts at Brighton Radiology.